The 2021 Journal Quilt Challenge
You are now invited to take part in the 2021 Journal Quilt Challenge. Please do
think about giving it a go even if you have never made a journal quilt before. It’s
a great opportunity to try out new ideas, techniques and materials, to experiment
and have fun without committing yourself to a huge project. You don’t have to
submit the actual quilts, just a photo and a brief comment on inspiration and
method, either by email or by posting into an album in the CQ Facebook Group.
The 2021 Requirements
This year we would like you to make 12 JQs, one for each month, as follows:
- To a theme of your own choosing. The quilts can be seasonal or reflect ‘your year’ in some way, but they don’t have to.
- Of fabric/materials and using techniques of your own choosing, but please note that each JQ must be a quilt in that it should have at least 2 layers, be quilted, and the edges should be finished neatly and appropriately.
- There is no set size but each quilt must be not less than 6” (15 cm) andnot more than 12” (30 cm) in any dimension
- In a shape of your own choosing. Some interesting variation would be welcome here – squares, rectangles, circles, hexagons, or stars, in fact any shape at all would be acceptable, and the quilts don’t have to all be the same shape and size either.
BUT – and this is the key requirement for 2021 Journal Quilts –
however different or similar each quilt is, we would like them to be made
so that at the end of the year you can join them together in some way,
perhaps on a backing or with some sort of linking mechanism, so that they
form a single unit.
So, for example, you might make 12 square or
rectangular quilts that you can mount on a backing to form a larger
rectangular quilt, or 12 circular or hexagonal quilts with tape ties so they
form a row or a long vertical hanging, or maybe 12 differently shaped
quilts that somehow fit together like puzzle pieces. The possibilities are
many and the choice is up to you as the quilter. All we ask is that they
work together as a joined up set of quilts, and can take a hanging
mechanism or stand up in a 3D form, for possible exhibition at a later date.
How to Take Part
Here are the timings for taking part in the 2021 challenge – please note
there is also a new, dedicated, JQ email address.
- Please register your interest in taking part in this challenge by 28 February 2021. (Yes, that’s an extra month!)
- You can do this by emailing the JQ Co-ordinator, that’s me, Glenys Davies, at JQ_contemp@quiltersguild.org.uk. Please do not just start posting quilts without registering as it means I won’t know who you are and will have no easy way of contacting you.
- When you register, all you need to tell me is your name, whether you will be posting on Facebook or emailing me your quilt images and, if you would like to, your theme.
- Images of each quilt and a brief comment about inspiration, materials and techniques should be posted on Facebook in the appropriate album or sent by email to the JQ Co-ordinator either:
? Once a month, ideally in or just after the month it’s named for.
? Or, in groups of four, by the end of April, August and December.
? Please label the image files with your name and the JQ month, eg
- An image of the final set of ‘Joined Up JQs’ should be posted/sent by the end of January 2022.
If you have any queries or problems just drop me an email at
JQ_contemp@quiltersguild.org.uk. You don’t need to tell me if life gets in
the way and you start running late, but it would be good to know if you
decide to drop out completely. Thank you.
The best of luck and good quilting! I look forward to seeing the first quilts in